Friday, January 9, 2015

Dinosaur Dig

Has it been crazy cold where you live? It has been in NE Illinois. The girls only came to our house a couple of days this week because their teacher mommy's school was closed for three days because it was too cold to have kids standing at a bus stop. 
The days they were here were full of dinosaur fun, starting with Dinosaur Eggs oatmeal of course. After all, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And why not watch eggs melt away to reveal tiny dinosaurs.
Last weekend I cooked a whole chicken in the crock pot and then dried the bones. I don't know if 5 has ever held a bone of any kind plus she's 2 so I knew she would believe these are dinosaur bones. Not to mention I've convinced all 7 of our grandchildren that I'm completely believable. 
Fortunately I was able to get some sand out of the sandbox on the deck before everything outside was frozen solid. I buried the chicken bones in the sand and waited for the girls to arrive. 
 After calendar time I reminded 5 that we don't pour sand on the floor inside the house, and gave her the paint brushes provided by Mother Goose Time plus a couple of bigger brushes. She brushed and brushed and when she found a bone she was amazed. 
Then she laid each bone on her mat, used the MGT brush for fine brushing and then as always, used her handy dandy magnifying glass. Each bone passed her rigorous and very scientific inspection. While she dug and inspected I told her about Paleontologists and excavation sites.
Later that morning we looked at the Mother Goose Time theme poster and matched the dinosaur picture cards, reading the descriptions and facts on the back of each card. It may take her the entire month of January to be able to identify each dinosaur with their correct name. Who am I kidding? She will probably have it by next week and at the end of the month I'll still be calling them by their Land Before Time names. 
 We found the matching mini dinosaurs for all of them except for the Stegosaurus. We had to us 7's musical dinosaur for that one. 
Hopefully things will warm up around here and we can learn a lot more next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment