Thursday, December 18, 2014

Penguins!!!!

I really like penguins. I like they way they walk and slide all over the place. I like that they are kind of weird, birds who don't fly but swim. I don't like how smelly their habitat usually is at the zoo but thats not their fault. I love March of the Penguins and Happy Feet. I always enjoyed them but when I found out they mate for life and the males carry their egg around until they hatch my fondness for them grew. 
We started our morning watching the beginning of Happy Feet. I wanted 5 to see how the males carry the eggs so it would make sense to her when we tried doing the same thing later on. While we watched I was able to tell her how the mommys worked hard to take care of their families which is something she can relate to. We saw the penguins swim and slide on the ice which was all going to tie in with today's lesson. 
I turned the movie off and gave her the white pom provided by Mother Goose Time and she tried to walk with it on her feet. 
 Unfortunately, tragedy struck when the egg rolled off her and she stepped on it! We took turns waddling with the egg and agreed we were glad we didn't have to take care of human babies like penguins do. 
Next we made a daddy penguin. This was a fun and cute idea from MGT. I offered 5 the option of using the black construction paper that was provided or a black marker. Silly me. Of course she wanted the black marker. She can be a serious colorer. 
This month Mother Goose Time has given us adhesive dots to use in our crafts. I had never used them before but have become such a big fan I bought a some to keep here. They were so helpful with this project. 5 used them to attach the googly eyes and beak. 
Her daddy penguin gave Baby Bear a boost to look at the awesome penguin picture.
She liked this project so much she decided it needed a snack so of course we chose Goldfish crackers. I can't promise that she doesn't think these new friends will eat the cracker she is offering. 
And it does look like the yellow duck is watching the blue one eat...
This was a fun project that allowed me to teach my granddaughter more about penguins. When her dad picked her up later in the day she was excited to show this to him and tell him all the things she learned. Nice job MGT.
When we finished this project we used the story sequencing cards to make up our own story about penguin food. Our penguins were named Timmy and Joe. They were playing outside one day and wanted a snack but didn't want to go home. Timmy saw a fish in the water and decided to slide down and catch it which he did. The final card was blank so I asked 5 what happened next. She said Timmy smashed the fish and ate it. I asked her about Joe. She said, "Oh, he went home and had lunch." I'm sure he did. We told the story a few more times but never with the same ending. Then we turned the movie back on for a couple of songs. 
It's called Happy Feet for a reason. 








1 comment: