Thursday, December 4, 2014

Winter Wonderland.

This first week of our new curriculum from Mother Goose Time has been all about snow and ice. We started out by tearing up a roll of toilet paper to make our own snow storm. This activity reminded both of us of the fun we had in October with the leaves from MGT. She tossed it over and over, not only the first day but every day since. I covered this month's theme poster with "snow" and then asked her to find different objects.
And of course, she hid under a pile of snow. I couldn't find her anywhere.
 
It was time to make snowflake stamps but I couldn't find the white paint I recently bought. I decided against using yellow, (yikes!) blue, red, or green and then remembered my friend telling me to mix glue and shaving cream for a puffy paint substitute. It was perfect. We tried to make a stamper by wrapping the circle cutouts with the yarn Mother Goose Time provided but it was too tough for her to hold and control so I took three pipe cleaners, folded them in half and twisted them together for about 1/3 of the length to form a handle and then spread out the loose ends. Did that make any sense? We did the same thing to paint fireworks on our Family Vacation 2014 shirts. 

The next day we built snowmen with paper and glue, 

with craft foam and water,
and with snowman game cards.
Adding magnets made this a perfect game for our oil pan wall.  
All this talk of snow made 5 think of the movie, Frozen so we had some "Let It Go" breaks.
And yes, she wore the same pajamas two days in a row. They are her favorites and her baby sister has a matching pair. It's been a wear your pajamas all day kind of week around here. 
Today we built igloos. I set out the cubes and cards from MGT before the girls arrived and as soon as 5 walked into the room she began to build things and match the cubes to the shapes on the cards. We talked about igloos and looked at the picture from our Day 4 packet. I think my granddaughter doubts I'm telling her the truth about igloos being homes made of snow. But she played along anyway. 
She decided that if igloos were made of snow ours needed a blizzard. 
We ended the morning with the igloo puzzle. She is a tiny 2 1/2 year old so scissors are really tough for her to handle but she has a strong "I can do it!" streak so we encourage her to try. 
You never know when you're going to need magnifying glasses. 

Perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment