Friday, November 14, 2014

Playing in the Rainforest with Mother Goose Time

What a fun week with Mother Goose Time! We built our own rainforest, played with monkeys, chased butterflies, made a jungle vine and decorated it with bug stickers, learned about sloths and pink dolphins, and talked A LOT to our chattering parrot toy.

It's not easy to explain a sloth to a two year old, especially an active two year old. But I relied on my go-to, YouTube for help.
And when 5 learned that Sloths like to sleep the same way bats do (fun fact from last month's unit on hibernation) she was all in. What can I say, the girl loves to hang upside down. 

As always Mother Goose Time  provided an I Can Read book for 5. This month's book is, "Jump through the Rainforest" and she loves reading it and acting it out. 
She reads it to the parrot toy which begins to repeat it back while she is still reading. She tells the bird to stop it and it tells her to stop it and on and on it goes. I think this toy is preparing her for conversations with her younger sister about 10 years from now. I should send it home with her to train her parents to ignore things they can't change. 
We have also started the ABB pattern which is an important pre-reading skill. This is used in this month's calendar and reinforced again with a Sloth in Hiding game that we received. 
Next week we are focusing on small creatures in the rainforest. I have printed up some coloring pages for us to work on so we can add them to our walls. It should be another fun week!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I got the idea from a school I worked at several years ago. All of the 3rd grade classes studied the rainforest and they decorated the school hallway and added creatures and plants as they learned about them. It was awesome looking and something I'm sure they have never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete